Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Meeting #5: Guys


Ishi

Five areas of “guy problems” that many girls struggle with:

·         I have a crush

·         I think a guy likes me and I kinda like him

·         I talk about guys with my friends all the time

·         I think a guy likes me, but he’s just really NOT my thing

·         My best friend is a guy



Zoo illustration

In a zoo, there are cages around all the animals.  You can’t get at the animals.  Now, I suppose you could go around, pressing your face against all the cages, but that would be really dumb.  You could complain that the fences are trapping you away from the animals, but in reality, the fences are there to protect you.  The animals are the ones trapped, not you.  It is usually a good idea to keep away from the cages, because inside the cages are dangerous animals.
In the same way, the “guidelines” or rules in Christianity are not to trap you but to keep you safe.  You are free to go anywhere…except where the danger is.  







Triangle illustration

As in the triangle, the best way for a friendship (whether casual or romantic) to blossom is for both people to draw near to God. 



The states of being Solyma, the bride of the King:

Virgin

·         Song of Songs 4:2

·         2 Corinthians 11:2

·         Philippians 4:8

Yielded

·         Song of Songs 2:15

·         1 Corinthians 6:19-20

The description of Solyma in SoS, taken literally. :-)
·         Mark 8:34-35

Sanctified (Set-Apart)

·         Song of Songs 2:15

·         Deuteronomy 30:6

·         Isaiah 48:10

Pure of mouth

·         Song of Songs 1:2

·         Isaiah 6:6-7

·         Psalm 141:3

Created for Him

·         Song of Songs 4:13-14

·         Revelation 4:11

·         Isaiah 43:7

Bears His Name

·         Songs of Songs 6:13

·         1 Peter 4:16

·         2 Corinthians 5:20

Follows Him

·         Song of Songs 3:2

·         1 Peter 2:21

·         1 John 2:5-6



What her Groom does

He gives meaning

·         Ecclesiastes 2:24-25

·         Ephesians 2:10

·         Psalm 16:11

He maintains her love

·         Song of Songs 2:4

·         Psalm 34:18

·         Jeremiah 32:40



What Solyma does

Longs for His return

·         Song of Songs 2:10-12

·         Revelation 22:20

Refuses to get side-tracked

·         Proverbs 5:1-2



Ishi [my husband]

·         Hosea 2:16a, 19 



Gomer and Hosea

God told Hosea to marry the adulterous Gomer to show the Israelites how He treated them, even though they chased after other gods.  It is in this context that He says, “In that day, you will call me ‘Ishi [my husband]’…”



Consecrate:

The act or ceremony of separating from a common to a sacred use, or of devoting and dedicating a person or thing to the service and worship of God, by certain rites or solemnities.  Consecration does not make a person or thing really holy, but declares it to be sacred, that is, devoted to God or to divine service; as the consecration of the priests among the Israelites; the consecration of the vessels used in the temple; the consecration of a bishop.





 
 Focus on Jesus




One final note that I didn’t get to last night…

Now, I know I didn’t talk about guys much at all this evening.  In fact, you could almost say that my lesson was false advertising.  But I want you to look at things this way.

·         I have a crush

o   You have a crush.  Okay…who’s your husband?  Does thinking about your crush honor Jesus?  Keep your eyes focused on Jesus.  It won’t be easy…trust me …but Jesus is zealous for his own.

·         I think a guy likes me and I kinda like him

o   This is slightly more complicated.  It’s like the crush…plus another exciting, rather flattering element.  Again, though, focus on Jesus.  Remember the triangle illustration?

·         I talk about guys with my friends all the time

o   …do you think John would appreciate Sylvia giggling about other guys all the time with her friends?  Jesus is even more jealous.  There are many other things to talk about than guys, so watch yourself.  Keep your eyes focused.

·         I think a guy likes me, but he’s just really NOT my thing

o   Keep your eyes on Jesus.  Most guys who aren’t serious lose interest when girls don’t encourage them.  If that fails, talk to your dad.  If that fails, you may be forced to actually talk to him and ask him to stop.

·         My best friend is a guy

o   …where’s your heart?  Usually, if others can tell that you’re focused on Jesus, the idea of you lying or being involved in an impure friendship is hard for them to believe. 

Focus on Jesus may not “get rid” of your guy problems, but it will limit them.  I mean, if guys know that you love Jesus more than anything, they’ll think twice about bothering you.  Conversely, if you are busy focusing on Jesus, a cute guy or a flattering tongue won’t appeal to you.  A heart devoted to Jesus will be the biggest draw.



♦ Memory verse:  Hebrews 12:2  ♦ Bonus:  Matthew 6:33

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments clean, and please sign your name so we can reply. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!