Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Security in Christ

The Case of the $5 bill and the Airplane




John 14:15, American Popular Version
So, God reckons us righteous if we believe Him. 
·         Reckon: To count; to number
·         Believe: To credit upon the authority or testimony of another  (Webster’s 1828)

The Case of the $5 Bill
     I told "Mary" that I had hidden a $5 bill in the piano bench.  I asked her if I was truthful (she said yes).  I then told her that I had given her the $5.  Was it hers?  Yes.  Could she see it?  No.  I then told her to walk to the piano bench.  Halfway down, I asked her again if the $5 was hers.  Yes.  Could she see it?  No.  How did she know it was hers?  Because I said so.  Why did that matter?  Because I was truthful.  So it went until she got it out of the piano bench.  The point was, just as she had to believe my word that she had something she couldn't see, so we have to believe God's word that we have things that we can't see.

So, let’s look at some problems:
1.      2 Corinthians 5:17 – Am I a new creation?
2.      Romans 6:2 – Am I dead to sin?
3.      John 10:28 – Can I be taken from God?
4.      Hebrews 13:5 – Can God forsake me?
5.      1 Corinthians 10:13 – What if I’m tempted too much?
John 14:15
Romans 6:2, American Popular Interpretation

 
The Case of the Airplane
      You cannot fly unless you are in the airplane.  Thus, we need to be in Christ in order to live as He commands.  Take a look at Ephesians.


Transferring the Reckoning

At the end of the lesson, we handed out prizes to our three groups for Bible memory.  Quite a few of the girls had memorized all the required verses, a few had memorized most of the extra verses, and one had memorized ALL the verses!

Reminder: the joint BL/HL Christmas party is on December 8.  Please plan on bringing 1-2 large dishes to share at 5:30 (if that requirement would keep you away, please email us and we'll get it figured out) to Zion Lutheran (2 blocks away for HL and BL).  Caroling will start shortly after that, with meal to follow.  Hope to see you all there!

And thank you to Adam4d.com for allowing me to use his comics!!  His comics are amazing and very Christ-centered.  :-)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments clean, and please sign your name so we can reply. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!